Credentials, College Courses, & Degrees
The following area community colleges offer college courses and Associates degrees in the field of early childhood education.
For more detailed information click the link that corresponds to the college(s) in your area.
- John A Logan Community College
- Rend Lake Community College
- Shawnee Community College
- Southeastern Illinois College
In addition, Southern Illinois University offers Bachelors and Graduate level degrees in Early Childhood Education as well as other related fields.
Gateways credentials are awarded and recognized by the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) Bureau of Child Care and Development. Gateways credentials are symbols of professional achievement that can be earned by completing an approved program at an entitled college or university, or by completing a portfolio that documents education and experience, or by completing the Level 1 ECE training.
Gateways to Opportunity offers a variety of credential opportunities to professionals in the field of early care and education:
- Illinois Director Credential (IDC)
- ECE Credential
- Infant Toddler Credential (ITC)
- School-Age and Youth Development Credential
- Level 1 ECE Credential
- Other State Recognized Credentials and Certifications
More information can be found at the Gateways to Opportunity website at